CAROLINE GARDENS CHAPEL
The chapel of the Licensed Victuallers’ Asylum in Peckham, now known as Caroline Gardens Chapel, was built in 1850 as part of a large set of almshouses for the support of publicans ‘advanced in age and suffering from infirmity...and no longer capable of supporting themselves’. The chapel received a direct hit from a bomb in WWII, losing its roof. The interior remains still blackened with soot. Most of the memorial tablets survived as they had been boxed in before the bombing; however the furnishings were lost and the stained glass, and in particular the memorial window to William George Drew, was damaged. This window, until its recent restoration by Heritage of London Trust, was heavily bowed with broken fragments. It depicts Jesus giving bread to a beggar.
"“The colours are so cool!”.
We recreated the memorial window for William George Drew who gave generously to the poor and was a biscuit maker- hence the McVities Biscuits!